Saturday, July 19, 2008

Something you really didn't need to know . . .

I hate vultures! Last Wednesday I was taking an afternoon nap with Lex when I woke up to the loudest noise on the roof. It sounded like a bunch of grown men running around. I finally got up the courage to go outside and check it out, and there were at least three vultures on our roof (the above is just a stock photo, I didn't take it).

One time last year we had these menaces up on our roof, but I'd forgotten how loud they were. I decided to look up ways to get them off of our roof, so I spent some time on Google. Boy, did I regret it!

Did you know that vultures can rip off shingles and can rip windshield wipers off of cars? Luckily, they flew away before they did any damage, but I hope they don't come back. Volture droppings are highly acidic and can eat through paint, roof tiles, and brick? They can also projectile vomit up to six feet when threatened. Both the droppings and vomit are known to contain botulism, salmonella, and other harmful viruses.

These wonderful creatures are also protected in Florida, so if they decide to live on your roof, there isn't much you can do about it! I hope they stay away for at least another year before I hear them again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When ever I see these bird I always hear the vultures in Disney's Jungle Book....."So, whatcha wanna do?" "I dunno, what you wanna do?" "Oh, now don't start that again!"

LOL

Andie~