Thursday, November 6, 2008

Update on Austin and Emily


The light in the photo is blue because of the girl next door to Austin. She has jaundice so has the blue hue from a bug zapper going nonstop.
Today Em and I were able to each visit Austin a couple of times. I got to hold his little foot and talk to him for a while. I told him we can't wait to hang out on better terms. You will have to ask Em what she said because I get to watch the Lexter while she is in there and vice versa.


Em gets discharged tomorrow evening most likely and that means Austin will be staying in the NICU. We will be coming home full time again and coming back for visits as often as we can. He is doing well but still having the transitioning issues in his lungs. They gave him a new oxygen acessory for his nose so he doesn't take it out as much due to the discomfort but it is also there to assist in his feedings. He is eating very well through a tube that goes directly down into his stomach.


Once again, he has to bottle feed fine for 24 hours and stay off of oxygen assistance for 24 hours before he can move out of the NICU into another nursery. We still have no definitive date for his departure but we are in no rush to get him out of the NICU due to the wonderful care he is receiving there and the good oxygen he is breathing.


Emily is rapidly getting better and is up and moving around. She is healing really well and is staying on top of her pain with good drugs. Pills are good! Pills are good! (Dumb and Dumber references never hurt!)

3 comments:

bobarah said...

He has got to be the biggest baby in the NICU! He looks like he almost doesn't fit in the crib :) I know the NICU can be hard, our daughter was there for two weeks, but the babies do get great care, which makes it a little better. Just keep giving him all the love you can and lots of positive thoughts and he will do great. We'll be thinking of you guys!

Paula said...

He is a BEAUTIFUL baby. I guess I should say handsome since he's a boy but he is truly beautiful.

Erin said...

Emily & Jer, congratulations on your new son! I am praying for him to recover soon and I hope you are all well. Love you!