Here are the stats:
Born at 9:50 am on November 4th, 2008.
8lbs 4 oz
20 1/2 inches
Baby and Mama are doing just fine but he is in the NICU right now. Here is what is going on:
I just got back from the hospital and everything for the most part is going very well. The baby is getting taken care of in the NICU right now and the care there is fantastic! Here is the lowdown on what happened. When he first got plucked out of the womb he wasn't crying very much. The nurse went to go clean him and get him going in he world and she said he had lots of fluid in his lungs. She got him cleaned off and he started to cry a lot so that was a good sign.
The fluid got cleared out and I followed the nurse to our post op room for Austin to recuperate. As she was doing tests she noticed he was having chest contraction issues and did some tests. It turns out that his oxygen levels in his blood were lower than they should be. So a NICU nurse was called in and he was assessed for about 15 minutes and it was deemed necessary he go to the NICU for monitoring and care for at least the first night.
I have gone to the NICU several times to visit and he is very animated, crying and full of vigor and vim so don't worry. He just needs his oxygen levels to be monitored. Right now he is requiring 30 some odd percent pure oxygen as opposed to the 21% we usually need. His chest is still contracting rapidly while at the same time breathing quite fast so they have given him something called a cpap to help him out.
We should have a NICU update tomorrow morning about 11 so I will keep you posted.
Poor Emily has still not really been able to see the baby or hold him. She saw him before he went into the NICU at around noon but hasn't seen him since. I just talked to her and she is hoping to get there around midnight to see her new baby boy
10 comments:
He is so sweet! I am very excited to meet Mr. Austin Drake Walsh! I am sure he will be fine and out of the NICU and in his Mommy's arms again soon.
Congrats, Em & Jeremy and welcome, Austin! What a beautiful baby!!
Congratulations on getting baby Austin here! He looks really healthy considering what he is going through. I wish I could hug you all! So happy for you guys!
WOW! What a strong, adorable young man you have brought into the world. Can't wait to see him in person. Love and best wishes to your sweet FL family! Grandma Sandy Walsh
I am soo excited for you all!!! Congratulation's on the newest addition.
Love the pictures. Thanks for the update. Tell Em "Hi" for me and give her a hug.
Andie~
Congratulations! I am so excited for you guys!
Congratulations to the Walshs. He is a cute baby. Let me know if it is worth having two kids! I am starting to get down the father of one daughter business.
Congratulations!! What awesome pictures. Hope everything is going good. You're definitely in our thoughts and prayers. Can't wait to see the little guy in person. I'm sure it won't be long before he's out of the NICU.
I really love the nake Austin Drake! He is gorgeous
Post a Comment